- Post Offices and Banks
- Living with Children
1Post Offices and Banks
- The symbol for the Japanese post offices and mailboxes is “〒”.
- You can send letters and packages domestically and internationally.
- Notify the post office if you move house. Your mail will be forwarded to the new address for a period of one year.
- You can open a bank account at an office.
- You can transfer money to make deposits, send transfers, pay utility bills, etc.
- If there is a change to your address, duration of stay, residency status, or other information, immediately contact the bank.
2-1Searching for a Job
- There are places to consult on job hunting or employment insurance.
- Before working in Japan, research your residence status, employment status (regular employee, temporary employee, etc.), the employment contract, and salary.
- There are laws and company regulations regarding salary, working hours, vacations, etc.
3Living with Children
3-1Pregnancy through Birth
- Once the hospital confirms a pregnancy, contact the Children and Families Support Division at the ward office to receive a “Mother and Child Health Booklet.” There are also Mother and Child Health Booklets available in multiple languages.
- Along with the Mother and Child Health Booklets, you will receive a ticket. This will lower the cost of maternal and pediatric physical exams.
3-2Raising Children (Before Elementary School)
- There are locations that offer childcare and education prior to elementary school including daycares and kindergartens.
(Elementary～Junior High School)
- Elementary through Junior High school education is compulsory. Please research what a parent/guardian should know about procedures for entering or transferring schools and Japanese language education (native language support, Japanese language learning support center “Himawari,” International Classrooms).
3-4High School and Beyond
- Those continuing to high school or university must take an entrance exam.
- For those who graduated Junior High School abroad and wish to enter high school in Japan
3-5Career and Education Counseling
- There are consultation services for those who would like career counseling or to learn more about Japanese schools.